The right person at the right time. That sums up how many employees and medical staff members describe William W. Lockwood, MD, Dignity Health, Yavapai Regional Medical Center’s (YRMC’s) 2020 Total Healing Environment Physician of the Year.
Dr. Lockwood is an infectious disease specialist. He joined Dignity Health, Yavapai Regional Medical Group – Pulmonology and Infectious Disease (formerly YRMC PhysicianCare) in 2017. His medical expertise, research background, and tireless commitment to the health of people of our community have been invaluable to YRMC during COVID-19.
“Dr. Lockwood has been a source of truth, stability and confidence during the COVID-19 pandemic,” says John Amos, President and Chief Executive Officer, Arizona Division, Dignity Health, Yavapai Regional Medical Center. “He has guided YRMC’s leadership team, embraced his role as a trusted colleague and provided expert advice regarding the allocation of resources during a time when the healthcare landscape has changed by the day, and at times, by the hour.”
Dr. Lockwood’s 2020 Physician of the Year nominations highlight his dedication to the health and safety of patients, staff, colleagues, and community members. The following are a few examples:
- Dr. Lockwood has made himself available around the clock to help answer questions related to COVID-19. Thank you is simply not enough for all this caring doctor has done for our community.
- I am honored to know and work with Dr. Lockwood and appreciate the time and effort he has spent working with all of us during this COVID-19 journey.
- Dr. Lockwood is a man of true character. Thank you for your endless hours of work and dedication to our work family, patients and our community. You make YRMC a brighter place to work.
Dr. Lockwood, however, is quick to share his recognition with members of the YRMC team.
“YRMC’s staff, providers, and clinicians have pulled together during this incredibly challenging time,” says Dr. Lockwood. “I’m proud to be associated with professionals who care so deeply and work so hard on behalf of patients.”
Dr. Lockwood earned his medical degree from Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, Texas. He pursued an Internal Medicine residency from the University of Michigan Hospitals in Ann Arbor, Michigan where he was recognized with the Outstanding Senior Resident Research Award.
Following his residency, Dr. Lockwood was recruited by the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City for an Infectious Disease fellowship. During that time, Dr. Lockwood also conducted health services research for the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa College of Medicine. Additionally, he has served as a clinical assistant professor of Internal Medicine at the University of South Dakota School of Medicine in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Dr. Lockwood is board certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Disease.
- Provides excellent patient care.
- Is sensitive to the needs and desires of patients.
- Emulates positive relationships with employees and volunteers.
- Is respectful to all and a team player.
- Takes pride in YRMC and the community.