As 2020 winds to a close, you may be contemplating your year-end charitable giving—especially during this unprecedented year.
“Giving is always an expression of hope, but it feels especially so in 2020,” says John Goodenow, Director of Philanthropy for the Yavapai Regional Medical Center (YRMC) Foundation, a member of Dignity Health. “When you give to the YRMC Foundation, you’re part of making your community healthier. And, I think we would all agree that health and hope are very important right now.”
Here are five frequently asked questions about charitable giving in 2020:
Question 1 – How can I give locally to support healthcare during COVID-19?
Early on in the pandemic, the YRMC Foundation established the YRMC COVID-19 Response Fund. Gifts made to the Fund are used for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), sterilization tools, COVID-19 related medical supplies, and more for the team at Dignity Health, Yavapai Regional Medical Center in Prescott and Prescott Valley.
“Gifts of any size to the YRMC COVID-19 Response Fund make a positive impact,” Goodenow says. “The donors I speak to are grateful for the opportunity to give locally and support the YRMC team during this crisis.”
Visit the YRMC COVID-19 Response Fund to make a gift.
Question 2 – Can my gift to the YRMC Foundation support other YRMC programs?
Absolutely. The YRMC Foundation supports your giving priorities with YRMC programs that fund, for example:
- Primary and mental health services for uninsured and underinsured children
- The BreastCare Center at YRMC
- Nursing staff education and development
- Diabetes education
Some people also ask us to direct their gift to YRMC’s area of greatest need, also known as the Community Care Fund. Either way, we’ll help you maximize your gift by matching it to an important YRMC program. Check out our complete list of YRMC programs to learn more.
Question 3 – How do I make a gift to the YRMC Foundation in recognition of a YRMC staff member or a special person in my life?
These kinds of gifts are very special, which is why we created the following programs:
- Grateful Patient Program – Recognize a nurse, physician, an entire department, or any member of the YRMC team through this program.
- Tribute Gifts – Remember an important occasion – a wedding, graduation, or birthday – in the life of someone you care about.
- Memorial Gifts – Honor the life of a special person by making a gift in their memory.
Visit the YRMC Foundation to learn more about these recognition programs.
Question 4 – What’s the best way to make a gift to the YRMC Foundation?
Making a gift to the YRMC Foundation is easy. You can choose which method works best for you:
- Online – To make a gift by credit card, visit us here and go to either of the “Give Now” buttons.
- Check – Mail your gift by check, payable to:
1003 Willow Creek Road
Prescott, AZ 86301
Note: For your 2020 taxes, please date and mail your check no later than December 31, 2020.
While we welcome and value every gift, please know that with a donation of $100 or more, you become a member of the YRMC Foundation’s Circle for Excellence.
Question 5 – Have the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules on charitable deductions changed for 2020?
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act – known as the CARES Act – allows individual taxpayers to deduct charitable gifts of up to $300 on their 2020 federal tax returns, even if they take the standard deduction. This “above the line” deduction changes how adjusted gross income is determined and taxed. This change was designed to encourage charitable giving among the more than 90% of U.S. taxpayers who no longer itemize.
For more information, talk to a qualified tax expert or visit the IRS website.
Some Hopeful Thoughts
Most people are motivated to make charitable gifts for reasons that go beyond the tax benefits. In that spirit, the YRMC Foundation shares this list of other reasons to give:
- Give to live—studies indicate people who give are healthier and live longer.
- Giving makes you feel good about yourself and others.
- Your gift will positively impact someone’s life.
- Your giving will inspire others to do the same.
- Giving brings hope to those less fortunate.